UAE Domestic Worker Law in Dubai
Laws and rules in Dubai for Domestic Workers.
Domestic workers who are planning to work in the UAE should be aware of their rights and responsibilities for their knowledge and protection. Here we share important things to know for you to be aware of the UAE labour law. This article will help you become aware of certain keypoints such as number of days off, vacation leave, duty hours, etc.
Also Read: UAE Launches New Handbook for Workers
Recently, the Ruler of the UAE, Sheikh Kahlifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, approved the Federal Law No. 10 of 2017. This federal law has 41 articles that includes laws about the labour contracts, vacation, official leaves, working hours and much more that is intended for domestic workers in the UAE.
Job Positions Categorized as Domestic Workers
The following are considered as domestic workers in the UAE as stated in the government.ae website. The said rules will apply to the following occupations: housemaid, private sailor, watchman and guards, household shepherd, family chauffeur, parking valet workers, household horse groomer, household falcon care-taker and trainer, domestic labourer, housekeeper, private coach, private teacher, nanny, household farmer, gardener, private nurse, private PRO, private agriculture engineer, cook
New Law for Domestic Helpers in UAE: 30 Days Leave, 12-Hours Daily Rest, Weekly Time Off
Saqr bin Ghobash Saeed Ghobash, the current Minister of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE), stated in an interview that this federal law is aimed to improve the relationship of domestic workers and their employers. This law also aims to provide all legal protection for the parties involved.
In this article we will share information about the new laws in the UAE intended for domestic workers: This new laws are the following:
- Salary will be given every 10th of the month.
- There should be 12 hours of rest per day, and this includes a consecutive rest of 8 hours.
- Paid rest days (one day per week)
- 30 days are available for medical leaves per year.
- The employer would provide medical insurance.
- Round-trip tickets would be available every 2 years going to your home country.
- Employer would provide decent meals and accomodations.
- Working uniforms (if applicable) would be provided by your employer.
- You’ll have access to your personal documents.
On the other hand, the new federal law also prohibits the following:
- Workers under 18 years old are not allowed to be employed.
- Jobs and tasks that are not included in your labour contract is prohibited.
- Worker is exposed from physical harm.
Other Rules and Regulations
Moreover, there are also other terms that are included:
- The agency that recruited you must present you a copy of your job offer before leaving your country.
- The labor contract must be approved by the MoHRE.
- A six month probation could be employed on a domestic helper. In the span of six months, the employer has the power to decide if the contract should be terminated, and the agency that recruited the worker must cover all fees that are needed to send the employee back in his/her home country.
- The employer cannot take any amount of the worker’s salary.
- If either the employer or worker failed to meet the obligations, they have the rights and power to decide to cancel his/her contract. Moreover, if the obligations are met, either the employer or worker can still cancel the contract, this is stated in the UAE Domestic Labour Law.
- If the domestic worker resigned without notifying the employer, then he/she must notify the MoHRE in 2 days. On the other hand, if the worker left without leaving a reason, the employer must then notify the MoHRE in 5 days.
- Both the employer and worker can file a dispute in the MoHRE.
- Any form of violence received by the worker must be avoided at all times.
Two month after the announcement from the official gazette, this said rules will be implemented shortly. This new laws will cover 19 domestic jobs, this includes: domestic workers, guards, nannies, cooks, nurses and much more.
Moreover, this set of rules will also server as a basis and guide for all the agencies, workers and the employers.
We hope this article helped you gain new information about the new domestic law in the UAE. Share this to your loved ones and friends to help them be aware of the said rules.